Cherry blossom and church tower in Spring.Description

 


The Church of the Ascension in Harts Lane, Burghclere is a flint church. Its square tower holds six bells which are heard ringing each Sunday. Its attactive proportions lie comfortably in the rural landscape of the area.

 

 

 

 

Interior looking down the nave towards the screen and altar.

 

 

The building in Harts Lane was originally a chapel-of-ease consecrated in 1838, which was enlarged and restored during 1874/75 and reopened on Ascension Day 13 May 1875 by when a spire had been added to the tower and the church named the Ascension.

 

Mosaic cross behind the altar.

 

 

 

Inside you will find a sturdily constructed and impressive expanse where wood and bright decor house a selection of beautiful artworks. The atmosphere is inspirational and dignified.

 

The altar with its beautiful reredos and windows.

 

 

 

The works of art include windows, carvings, lights and mosaics which although added at different times, live harmoniously with each other and provide a wealth of interest.